10 Ways to Donate to Haiti
You’ve probably seen the news, emails and tweets about helping Haiti. But if you’re a business or individual who wants to help, and you’re unsure about where to donate, these national and local organizations are the best places to start. By donating today, you’ll help bring immediate relief to the thousands affected.
Here are the 10 best organizations to start with:
- Haitian-born Rapper Wyclef Jean’s Foundation, Yele, is accepting donations. You can donate $5 by texting “YELE” to 501501. The amount is charged to your cell phone bill. A confirmation message will arrive within a few minutes, to which the customer replies “yes” to finalize the donation. Standard text messaging rates may apply.
- Make a $10 donation to the Red Cross by texting the phrase “Haiti” to the number 90999. They have announced that they have already raised more than 5 million dollars.
- The Hospitals in Haiti are badly damaged and overwhelmed. To help medical aid workers provide supplies and care, donate to Doctors Without Borders on its website.
- Haiti’s UNICEF representative, Guido Cornale, has asked everyone to help the children in Haiti, by donating via UNICEF’s website.
- The Salvation Army is sending boxes of non-persihable items including rice and soy to Haiti. You can support the Salvation Army through its website.
Or donate through these local South Florida organizations:
- The Coconut Creek branch of Food for the Poor is accepting donations as well as nonperishable food and other items. The organization will be sending 400 containers of rice, beans, water, blankets, lumber and repairing zinc to Haiti in the next couple of days. However, it is not taking clothing at this time. Visit them at 6401 Lyons Road Department Number 9662, Coconut Creek, FL 33073 to drop off donations or click here.
- The Foot Solutions stores in North Miami Beach, Plantation and Coral Springs, on behalf of Soles4Souls, a Nashville, Tenn.-based charity that collects shoes, is asking for monetary donations or for donations of gently used shoes for victims. You can drop them off at their three locations.
- Naples-based nonprofit, Hope for Haiti, is seeking donations. The organization says they are prepared to send doctors, nurses, medical supplies and equipment to the Port-au-Prince, Haiti, but they need financial help to pay for fuel. Click here for more.
- If you’re in Coral Gables you can drop off food at the Latin Builders Association headquarters. They are located at 4110 Laguna Street in Coral Gables and are open Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 12.
- Miami Commission Chairman Marc D. Sarnoff and the President of Camillus House has established an emergency plan to aid the people in Haiti. They have already collected non-perishable food and other items to ship to Haiti within the next two days. Camillus House has also set up a separate fund for monetary donations, which can be sent to them at 336 NW 5th Street Miami, FL 33128. Please put Haitian Relief fund in the memo section to ensure that the money goes to the people in Haiti.
How do you know that your donation is really going to helping Haiti? Here are 3 rules to make sure that 90 percent of your donations matter:
- Be cautious about giving to organizations that claim that 100 percent of the donations will go to help earthquake victims in Haiti. In most cases, a small percentage of your donation will go to administrative and fund raising expenses.
- Be carefully about donating online to unknown organizations. Do your research, avoid Facebook, Twitter, or email solicitations, and better yet, go directly to the source you want to donate to.
- Inquiry whether the organization provides direct aid or is raising funds for others as well. Check out who is the ultimate recipient of funds and ask about their distribution plans.
Note: The Miramar-based Spirit Airlines said it will give 5,000 FREE Spirit miles to everyone who donates at least $5 to the Red Cross, UNICEF or Yéle. Those interested in joining Spirit Airlines in their fundraising relief efforts for Haiti should visit http://www.spiritair.com/haiti.
—Tavia 954-523-1957 ext. 25